NBAPlay Hoops Rank

“This Feels Like the End”: Ramona Shelburne Reveals Lakers Ownership Battle Has Reached Breaking Point After Jeanie Buss Saga

Aug 19, 2026, 7:57 PM CUT

Imago

For nearly 50 years, the Buss family has been involved with the Los Angeles Lakers. In 1979, Jerry Buss purchased the franchise, and his family members have helped him run operations ever since. In 2013, when Jerry died, his daughter, Jeanie, assumed the majority of the responsibility and took over the business.

Despite selling their majority ownership stake to Mark Walter earlier this summer, it appears that Jeanie isn't ready to let go yet. Earlier this August, the majority of the Buss siblings, excluding Jeanie, wanted to sell their remaining 17.8% stake in the Lakers. However, Jeanie appears to be persistent in keeping their share and is taking legal action. NBA insider Ramona Shelburne shared insights on what has transpired so far among the siblings.

"There was a family meeting ... on Monday night to revise the (Buss) Trust for the next four years," Shelburne said on The Rich Eisen Show. "If we look at it in retrospect, it seems like Jeanie Buss revising the Trust to solidify her agreement with Mark (Walter) ... that part spooked them. They said, 'Why is she doing that? Why don't we just sell?'"

"(The Buss Siblings, excluding Jeanie) had an open vote and called to sell on Tuesday," Shelburne added. "The timing suggests the sale has been knocking on the door for a long time. The family has wanted to sell since they all weren't involved anymore. Jeanie's been on this island for quite a long time, trying to keep everyone happy. This was always a very difficult situation to manage... She's managed it as long as she could. But now, this feels like the end, one way or another."

According to other sources, the dispute among the Buss siblings is currently at a standstill. Neither side has officially won the case yet. Reports suggest that their battle in court could be lengthy given how Jeani refuses to back down and will do everything in her power to keep the family's remaining minority ownership stake in the Lakers.

Shams Charania Gives Clarity on Why Jeanie Buss' Siblings are Voting Against Her

While the idea of the Buss family no longer being involved with the Los Angeles Lakers seems bizarre, it appears that the siblings have plenty of reason to move on from the legendary NBA franchise.

NBA insider Shams Charania revealed that the reason why Jeanie Buss remains the only family member interested in keeping her family's share in the Lakers is due to the circumstances of her status as the team's Governor.

Apparently, Jeanie agreed to a deal with Mark Walter that allows her to be the Lakers' governor until 2030. After that deal was made, Jeanie immediately fired her siblings from their roles in the franchise. With that in mind, Jeanie is currently trying to fight for the remaining years she has as the team's governor.

"There was a deal that she would be the governor for the next five years through 2030, so there’s four more years left," Charania revealed on The Pat McAfee Show. "Well, you know what happened in the ensuing months after that transaction took place? All of the other five siblings were terminated and fired from their roles, and now, less than a year later, five votes against Jeanie Buss."

Right now, everything remains a blur regarding the Buss' situation with the Lakers. All Lakers fans can do for now is wait and see what happens during their trial in court.

Related articles
Written by
Edited by

Ved Vaze

BasketballNews

Stay up to date with the latest NBA news, scores, stats, analysis, and stories from around basketball.

Crunch Time Sports LLC @2026 | All rights reserved