NBAPlay Hoops Rank

“$2.5 Billion in 400 Days”: Patrick Beverly Praises Mark Walter's Sale of Lakers After LeBron James’ Departure

Aug 19, 2026, 7:35 PM CUT

Imago

The Los Angeles Lakers have been the biggest topic in the league as of late. This is due to the recent sale of Mark Walter's majority ownership stake to Josh Kushner and Bob Iger. Last year, Walter bought the majority of the Lakers from the Buss family for $10 billion. Then, earlier this summer, he sold it for $12.5 billion, making a $2.5 billion profit.

Former NBA star Patrick Beverley was amazed by how Walter made the fastest and biggest money anyone has ever seen. Beverley shared how he now views Walter after making a huge sale. What impressed him the most how he managed to make the sale despite LeBron James leaving the Lakers franchise.

"What he just did was brilliant," Beverley said on his podcast. "I'm all with the next man getting that check. But you tell me I buy a team for $10 billion, LeBron leaves, and I sell it for $ 12.5 billion, I'd have made $2.5 billion in 400 days. Hustler of the year award go Mark Walter, straight up."

Beverley then urged the youth to take notes on how to make money, like how Walter did with the sale of the Lakers.

"Kids, if y'all listening at home, look him up," Beverley added. "He's so cold. Hey look, hey Mark, I ain't gonna lie, Mr. Walter, I ain't going to lie to you, Mr. Walter. You so cold. Then he sell it to- I think he sold it to the former Disney CEO. He done went Disney on them, folks."

With new owners now assuming their positions as head of the Lakers franchise, fans should expect to see a plethora of changes heading into the 2026-27 season.

NBA Insider Hints Buss Family's Complete Exit From the Lakers After Mark Walter's Sale

While everyone is fully aware that Josh Kushner and Bob Iger are now the two main guys in charge of the Los Angeles Lakers, it still feels weird that the Buss family is no longer involved with the team. Earlier this August, there were reports that the Buss family fully intends to sell their 17.8% minority ownership stake.

However, the Lakers' current governor, Jeanie Buss, isn't ready to let go of the franchise, as she is aiming to go against her siblings' wishes to sell their ownership stake.

Despite the situation, NBA insider Ramona Shelburne believes that Jeanie could lose the battle against her siblings, and the Buss family could truly make an exit from the Lakers franchise after 47 years.

"There was a family meeting ... on Monday night to revise the (Buss) Trust for the next four years," Shelburne said on The Rich Eisen Show. "If we look at it in retrospect, it seems like Jeanie Buss revising the Trust to solidify her agreement with Mark (Walter) ... that part spooked them. They said, 'Why is she doing that? Why don't we just sell?'"

"(The Buss Siblings, excluding Jeanie) had an open vote and called to sell on Tuesday," Shelburne added. "The timing suggests the sale has been knocking on the door for a long time. The family has wanted to sell since they all weren't involved anymore. Jeanie's been on this island for quite a long time, trying to keep everyone happy. This was always a very difficult situation to manage... She's managed it as long as she could. But now, this feels like the end, one way or another."

As of this writing, the ongoing dispute among the Buss siblings is at a standstill. Neither of the sides has officially won the case, and sources suggest that it's likely to be a lengthy battle in court.

Related articles
Written by
Edited by

Ved Vaze

BasketballNews

Stay up to date with the latest NBA news, scores, stats, analysis, and stories from around basketball.

Crunch Time Sports LLC @2026 | All rights reserved