NBAPlay Hoops Rank

Enes Kanter Freedom Warns WNBA, Claims 8 More Athletes Could Join the League For $1.4 Million Paycheck

Aug 19, 2026, 11:05 AM CUT

Imago

Enes Kanter Freedom has caught the attention of the basketball world as of late. Earlier this August, Freedom shockingly declared that he intends to enter the 2027 WNBA Draft. This is his method of retaliation against the league for not allowing the inclusion of transgender athletes.

Freedom then found a loophole in the WNBA's guidelines, as the rule states that "players who are women" are eligible to enter the WNBA Draft. Having that in mind, aside from himself, he's apparently spoken to other male players from the NBA and EuroLeague who plan to support his cause.

"So far, I've spoken with two former NBA players, three G League players, and three European players," Freedom posted on social media. "They have all said that if the WNBA doesn't change the rules (regarding any woman player joining the league), they're ready to join the movement and are considering coming out as women and putting their names in the 2027 WNBA Draft."

Freedom then noted how this could be the G League players' opportunity to make more money in the WNBA than their current salary.

"Hear me out. The NBA G League pays players $45,000 a year, while the WNBA top players earn $1.4 million. Those 'men' could earn an extra $1,355,000 a year by just identifying as women. Rules are rules," Freedom concluded.

The WNBA has already released an official statement prior to Freedom's continued rebellion. They mentioned that they have no intention of allowing Freedom to enter the league due to his intentions being in "bad faith".

The WNBA also shared its thoughts on the matter and is strongly against Freedom's publicity stunt.

"We will not be used as political pawns," the statement uploaded by sources reads.

For now, all signs are pointing towards Freedom never becoming eligible for the WNBA. However, given how the former NBA big man is actively trying to find ways to enter the league, he could successfully achieve his goal.

Stephen A. Smith Calls Out WNBA For Not Clarifying the Rules After Enes Kanter Freedom's Shocking Announcement

While the WNBA has no intention of allowing Enes Kanter Freedom to join their league, the former NBA star could take legal action and possibly win. This is due to the loophole Freedom found in the league's rules and guidelines.

Because the WNBA didn't specify that only players who are born or biologically female are allowed to play in the league, Freedom's logic of identifying as a woman could technically make him and other men eligible to join.

Sports analyst Stephen A. Smith calls out the WNBA for their lapses in writing the rules. Smith noted that the association is now in a pickle and could be at risk of losing to Freedom if he takes legal action.

"Women, how come you didn't write in your language 'those born female'?" Smith said while questioning the WNBA rules. "How come you didn't make that clear? Because if you were born a female, even if you're transitioning into being a female, because you weren't born a female, that would make you ineligible to enter the WNBA. Why didn't you do that?"

"Otherwise, you're going to have 6'8" with goatees walking in your league or claiming they're going to walk in your league," Smith added. "You can deny them entry, you can refuse to draft them, but you're going to open yourself up to potential legal action until you clarify what the hell is going on."

According to other sources, Freedom and his fellow protester, Royce White, plan on taking legal action if the WNBA rejects their entry to the 2027 draft.

Given the current circumstances, everything remains a blur for now. There isn't any surety around how exactly the association plans on addressing the situation outside of publicly denying these players access to their league.

Related articles
Written by
BasketballNews

Stay up to date with the latest NBA news, scores, stats, analysis, and stories from around basketball.

Crunch Time Sports LLC @2026 | All rights reserved